Skip to main content
1st XI Saturday

By August 3, 2004January 13th, 2012No Comments

Windsor vs Thatcham

On a roasting afternoon at Thatcham Windsor were asked to field first on what looked like a motorway of a wicket. Eiderweera took kindly to the bowling of Watkins, quickly hitting him out of the attack with a flurrish of cuts and pulls. Granger took over, and with Huggins back to his aggressive best, the Thatcham top order were no match for the berkshire pace men. Etheridge was cleaned up by granger, Dennes edged to Davies, and then Wise followed on shortly after thanks to a sharp catch behind the sticks from the up and coming Gould. When danger man Ediweera departed for 38, Windsor were in the hunt and sensed a low total on the cards. In fariness to Thatcham, they responded with some solid partnerships in the middle order, Store and Fraser dug in and later on Bird threw the long handle to work the home side towards a modest total of 180. Granger bowled with fire and control to deliver his first 5 wicket haul for the club, and Huggins will be satisfied with a haul of 3 for 38 from 14.

Windsor would have settled for 180 before a ball was bowled, with a lightning fast outfield and a long batting line up they were confident of a result. Bird and Noble got off to a flyer, Bird in particluar blending his usual mix of stout defence and blazing cover drives to good effect. Noble, gritty as ever, but never really settled and was undone by the subtleties of Edirweera, presenting a straight forward catch to Fraser. Bird soon followed, but only after breaking a finger fending off a nasty lifter – the operners season lies in tatters. Chorley was undone by Johnson, and Granger soon followed, taken behind off a lifter from Edirweera. Windsor were once again in trouble due to a lack of application in the top order. Seneir proffesional Thompson began with a flourish but finished with a wimper, lulled by a cleverly disguised slower one. Gould played round one from Johnson, and Huggins came off second best after a fiery confrontation with Edirweera in which the Windsor pacemans perspex grill was tested to the max.

Watkins and Davies tried to rebuild. Windsor had collapsed from 47 for 0, to 85 for 7, and the game was all but lost. Watkins battled to restore some credibility, playing sensibly on what was in essence a fine wicket, but after Davies was caught flashing at one in the gully the game was up. Mohindru and Spence were gone in 3 balls, and Windsor finished on 137 all out. Skipper Watkins will now need to revitalise his batting line up before the Cove game on Saturday, as once again they were undone by nothing more complicated than good quality bowling.


This is the administrator account for Windsor Cricket Club

Leave a Reply