Skip to main content
2nd XI Saturday

By July 29, 2003January 13th, 2012No Comments

Rain puts pay to hard work

Windsor 221-8 (Smith 100 no, Birch 47 – 52 overs)

Kidmore End 1-0 (1 Over)

The forecast although predicting rain, did seem to indicate that a full days play would be possible. Despite the damp conditions, Windsor won the toss and elected to bat with a new opening partnership of Richard Noble and the injured bowler Tristan O’Shannesy. Both found it hard work as the ball seamed around, and good accurate bowling by Kidmore’s opening pair meant that runs were restricted and attempting to force the pace only brought a downfall of wickets. Most batsmen managed to score 10 or so but 66-5, soon became 73-6, and 84-7. Rob Noble looked to help Tim Smith who despite a few close calls was managing to hang around. However things were looking desperate when Noble departed with the score 121-8. However, as a steady drizzle fell making batting conditions even more difficult Tim Smith and Oliver Birch put paid to all this by taking the attack to Kidmore in devastating fashion. Tim Smith reached his well deserved half century and Birch using his aggressive strokeplay to good use began to get the score ticking along. Once the momentum got going, it was difficult for them to stop. Smith, a farmers son, hitting two huge sixes into the woodland at long off. Passing a club record partnership of 87 for the 9th wicket, set just 3 weeks ago by Chris Edge and Rob Noble, in the final over Smith found himself on 97, and Birch 46. A cut for 3 seemed to get Smith to his 100 a Birch a chance of his 50, but amazingly Birch had run one short, leaving Smith stranded on 99 at the non strickers end! Birch managed to get some bat on the next one for a single to get Smith on strike with two balls remaining. Smith failed to score off the first one, but in the final ball of the innings pushed a single to cover to complete his first ever league ton, and a club record partnership of exactly 100 for the 9th wicket.

However, further rain delays during tea meant that play for the second inning was delayed and although Kidmore’s innings was eventually started, after just one over the rain became heavier and the match was eventually abandoned.


This is the administrator account for Windsor Cricket Club

Leave a Reply